11 July 2007

What Your Friendly HR Department Really Thinks Of You

During the course of a five-and-a-half-hour budget review meeting today:

Actuary: You've got a really large ongoing claim out in California.
HR Director:
Oh, really? How much?
Actuary: At least $200,000 over stop loss.
HR Director: What's the diagnosis?
Actuary:
I'm not sure.
HR Analyst: Let's see...right here it says "lymphoma."
HR Director: That's bad, right?
HR Analyst:
Yeah...that's pretty bad.
HR Director: Well, hopefully they'll die soon.
Actuary: Tell me about it.
Later on:

Actuary: ...and you've still got 352 retirees on the capped plan.
HR Director: How many fewer is that from last year?
Actuary: Looks like about 30 less.
HR Director: These people really need to start dying off.

Trust me, people. It's all true.

3 comments:

Kelley and Steve said...

wow I'm embarrassed to be in HR after reading that. All praise the almighty dollar!

K said...

Yeah, but the crazy thing is that I really do love working here and the people are genuinely very nice. They're just extremely bottom-line-oriented, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just amusing. :)

Anonymous said...

I love HR.