18 July 2007

Learn Some Bloody Spanish!

As I've probably mentioned before, the company for which I work is foreign-owned. Although the North American headquarters are here in Houston, it's difficult to walk down any of the hallways and overhear a conversation that's actually taking place in English. This doesn't bother me -- far from it, actually -- I'm well-accustomed to a multi-lingual situation, having been born and raised in one of the world's biggest melting pots and it's something in which I've always taken pride.

Myself, I speak a couple of languages. While it isn't the first foreign language I learned, German is the one in which I'm most fluent. I attribute that to the simple fact that it's so similar to English -- no great feat there. I took two years of French in high school and made straight 100s (I didn't even do that well in English, for God's sake!) but to this day, I can only speak a few phrases. I understand it quite well, though. I have a smattering of Polish under my belt (thanks, Jess) and I can count to ten in Scots Gaelic (ach, but who canna?). The language that is the most useful to me, however, is Spanish.

Part of the reason I was hired here is that I speak Spanish. Again, it's about third on my list of languages in terms of fluency. That doesn't mean I'm terrible at it. It just means that I'm a little slower to respond to questions and I have to stop and collect my thoughts at times while speaking. My written Spanish is fine. In fact, I developed an entire line of Spanish communications (posters, brochures, booklets and a DVD) at my last job that were very well-received and caused a 200% increase in Spanish-speaking enrollment after its implementation. Yes, 200%. I have very few things to brag about these days, so just let me get that out of the way. Thanks.

At work recently, I was told that my Spanish is "too informal" (this was after asking someone I barely knew ¿Tienes una pluma?) I suppose that's a fair judgment, considering that the bulk of my Spanish was learned from my stepfather's family, contractors, cleaning crews and people I've worked with at community centers. I took four years of Spanish in high school, but that clearly sunk in about as well as my French classes. It's not like I sit down and watch telenovelas or Sábado Gigante to try and brush up on it, either. And I haven't taken a single formal course in ten years. So that's to be expected. Informal was fine for my last job, since my Spanish-speaking audience was entirely composed of electricians. Here, it's a bit different.

So last night I downloaded an entire podcast series on conversational Spanish. It was highly-rated and promised to teach both formal and informal Spanish, both of which I really need to brush up on. I was excited to start relearning Spanish (hey, I get excited about learning new keyboard shortcuts; I'm not exactly the epitome of cool) and was looking forward to going to the gym this morning even more than usual, since I now had my iPod chock-full of of Spanish lessons -- this was going to be the best multi-tasking I'd done in a long time.

After my first five minutes on the treadmill this morning, I switched from my standard workout playlist once I'd woken up a bit and over to the highly-anticipated Spanish lessons. What I heard coming through my earphones sounded like this:






From what I could discern, I believe what was being said was this: "Welcome to Coffee Break Spanish! I'm your host, Craig MacDonald, and today we'll be learning Spanish for the Spanish mainland!"

First of all, there is no way that I'm going to be able to learn Spanish from a guy whose Scottish accent is so thick that I can't even understand him in my native language. His Spanish accent -- God bless him -- was worse than the fake French accents that the staff at La Madeleine uses.

Second of all, "Spanish mainland?" No, thank you, I prefer not to speak with a lisp. I would be laughed out of the building -- and out of Texas -- if I started speaking Castilian Spanish all of a sudden. No dice.

I guess I need to pay more attention the next time I download random podcasts. For now, I'm just going to suck it up and purchase that stupid Rosetta Stone software. I think I can do picture = word well enough. We'll see how that goes.

4 comments:

Pancho said...

For some reason, the image that comes into my mind is Will Farrell as Bob Goulet doing Red Ships of Spain. I have no idea why. Hey, how is it that you immediately got a link on my blog, but I have been left off of your recommended sites?! What, do you think you're better than me now that I'm in Indiana!

K said...

Oy, vey! With the kvetching and the kibbitzing! Your wish is granted - l'chaim!

Anonymous said...

Katharine - interesting to hear your comments on Coffee Break Spanish. It's maybe worth pointing out that if Spanish is your third-most-fluent language then I doubt Coffee Break Spanish is for you anyway. We state very clearly on the information on iTunes, on the website and on the podcast itself that it's for the absolute beginner and that we'll be taking things very slowly. That's one of the aspects of the course that beginners enjoy the most. There are plenty of other Spanish podcasts out there for more experienced speakers, though in my opinion one of the best is again "Spain Spanish" and I'm sure you'll not be interested in that. It's the same language - but as you find it difficult to understand what the characters in your video are saying then I guess it's pretty obvious that there are regional differences in all languages. However, we teach "standard Spanish" on Coffee Break Spanish and if a complete beginner approaches any Spanish speaker anywhere in the world and says anything that we have taught on the course then they are 100% likely to be understood, and the attempts will be appreciated.

I was also surprised to hear that you find both my Scottish accent untillegible and my Spanish accent "fake". If you bothered to look at iTunes reviews, on our website, or on Podcast Alley reviews, you'll find that my (mainland) Spanish accent is described as excellent and that I've pointed out on numerous occasions that since it's Spain I've lived in and that I'm not as familiar with Mexican, Peruvian, Colombian, Argentinian - or even Texan Spanish, then it's hardly likely that I'd put on a fake Latin American accent in the podcasts. Or indeed put on an American accent just so that people from the US can understand me... There are around 100,000 listeners to each episode of Coffee Break Spanish, the vast majority of whom listen every time and keep coming back for more. Indeed, some people even enjoy the accents!

Good luck with your attempts at learning Spanish, and maybe if you give later programmes a listen you'll find that things have moved on since the early programmes we released last year.

Mark
Coffee Break Spanish

K said...

Yikes! Okay, that's too awesome not to leave on here and I probably deserve it. Although, in all fairness, I did say that "His Spanish accent -- God bless him -- was worse than the fake French accents that the staff at La Madeleine uses." Worse, not fake.

God bless you, Mark Pentleton. That is, by far, the best comment I've ever received and I love you for it.